Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Recipe-- Heather! You HAVE To make this!

I'm a fall lover. I'm a soup lover. This has been one of my favorite meals to consume this season.
I was tempted to hide the recipe away in a safe and call it my own "Secret Recipe"-- but, ... it's not my own secret recipe-- it's a recipe from an apple farm called Mac's Apples in New Hampshire. A place where we used to faithfully pick apples as children and feed the pond ducks. Thanks Mac, ... this soup is a gift.

Butternut Squash and Ginger Soup

Ingredients
1/4 C veg oil
1 each med onion, roughly chopped
3 each med sized carrots, rough chopped
1 T fresh ginger, peeled roughly chopped (or 1 tspn ground ginger)
2 lbs butternut squash, peeled in 2 " chunks
1 qt chicken stock or broth
2 each bay leaves
1 tspn salt
Frshly cracked pepper to taste
1 C heavy cream
2 oz. whole butter

Method:
Sweat (cook without coloring) oniion, carrot, ginger and bay leaves in oil. Add squash, chicken broth and salt. Cover and simmer 25 min. Remove bay leaves. In a blender or food processor, puree all ingredients. Return to heat; add cream. Add pepper and whisk in butter just before serving. Garnish with roasted squash seeds.

Variation:
Replace 1/2 C of Cream with Cider.

*Depending on the starchiness of squash, adjust consistency with extra broth.

5 Comments:

At 9:41 AM , Blogger betsy said...

Wow this sounds yum. I have some questions.

1) Sweat onion? I'll have to google that.

2) Do you use fresh or powdered ginger?

3) Do you roast squash seeds or buy those?

I'm impressed.

 
At 2:08 PM , Blogger MooreUpdates said...

thanks for the recipe. i've been meaning to get it from you. i just spent 25 minutes enjoying your site...clearly i am procrastinating...i need to clean house. someday, when we're rich and have 6 kids, i'll get a housekeeper..until then, it's me. love you

 
At 9:01 AM , Blogger Danielle said...

Thanks!!

 
At 8:39 AM , Blogger KiKi said...

I just made this soup, my Mom gives me the little Mac's Apples recipie cards every fall now that I never get there anymore, it is so good!!! Also congrats on the little bun your warming!

~Kristen "Kelley" Gleason~

 
At 12:48 PM , Blogger Stacy said...

This sounds reaaaaally good. I love me some butternut squash.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home